ESG | Social | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | DEI In Action
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Action
Employee Resource Groups
With more than 150 employee resource groups (ERGs) worldwide, Cummins constantly seeks new ways to provide ample opportunities for leadership training, cross-cultural learning and professional development. Established around the world, ERGs are open to all employees and organized by different facets of diversity like gender, age, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, multicultural and military status.
ERGs at Cummins are voluntary, employee-led groups that serve as a resource for members and the company by helping to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace aligned with Cummins’ mission, vision and values.
The Cummins Global Inclusion Leadership Council (GILC) was created to more closely knit together the array of global ERGs to amplify the voices they represent and harness their collective power to effect positive change within the company. Through this global council, each dimension of diversity has a global executive sponsor and chair to help ERGs work across regions creating unprecedented, positive impact within Cummins.
The following dimensions of diversity have representative ERGs and GILC chairs:
- Disability Inclusion
- Military Status
- Multi-Cultural (Race/Ethnicity)
- Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Learning and Development
Cummins leaders understand the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion to our global company. Cummins continually seeks to increase awareness and grows DE&I skill by educating all employees on cultural competence, valuing difference, and fostering an inclusive environment. We encourage every employee to take personal ownership and accountability for DE&I. We offer a wide range of learning and development opportunities. Here are some of our development programs focused on aspiring leaders:
- Global Leadership Development Program was first launched in 2010 with a goal to better leverage our key talent globally. The program focuses on individual and team development.
- Global Leadership Representation was first launched in 2010 with a goal of providing focused mentoring and visibility to our up-and-coming leadership talent across the globe. The program also supports our global diversity and inclusion goals of developing women and minority employees.
Here are some of our training opportunities for all employees:
- Communicating Across Cultures
- Culture and Its Effect on Communication
- LGBTQ+ Safe Leader Training
- Preventing Sexual Harassment
- The Spectrum of Diversity and Inclusion
Cummins has strong ties with external organizations, like the Conference Board, Mercer, Bersin and Catalyst, who regularly partner with us on diversity, equity and inclusion training for employees.
Cummins believes supplier diversity is critical to the company’s sustainability efforts. Using diverse suppliers enables Cummins to tap into the power of diverse thoughts and approaches, increases competition for Cummins’ business, and spreads the benefit of economic growth to a wider number of communities.
Cummins’ Supplier Diversity program works to increase the number of diverse suppliers doing business with Cummins – minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and LGBT-owned businesses.
"Character, ability and intelligence are not concentrated in one sex over the other, nor in persons with certain accents, or in certain races, or in persons holding degrees from some universities over others. When we indulge ourselves in such irrational prejudices, we damage ourselves most of all and ultimately assure ourselves of failure in competition with those more open and less biased."
– J. Irwin Miller, former Cummins Chairman and CEO